Thursday, January 22, 2009

Proverbs Commentary

I. Who wrote these wise sayings,

v. 1. They are the proverbs of Solomon. 1. His name signifies peaceable, and the character both of his spirit and of his reign answered to it; both were peaceable.

In contrast, David, whose life was full of troubles, wrote a book of devotion (Psalms); for is any afflicted? Then let him pray.

Solomon, who lived quietly, wrote a book of instruction; for when the churches had rest they were edified.

In times of peace we should learn ourselves and teach others that when in troubled times, both, they and we must practice.

1 comment:

  1. I think in times of Peace, that that is the time to read the words of God and "write them on our hearts" so that we will have fortified our souls for times of trouble or disappointment.

    Then sometimes when I am in sorrow, I pray and am comforted for what has been "written on my heart" by reading God's word in times of peace.

    ReplyDelete